Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Clickers

Yesterday I went to a short workshop on some ways to incorporate the clickers in my classroom. Currently I've used them for our MCA prep. What I found most difficult to get my head around is the fact that there are several pieces of software that can be used with the clickers.

Some teachers wanted to be able to just add interactive slides into their already made power points. However if you choose this option, you are constantly toggling between the two softwares. You must have a good hold, I think, on what each of the softwares are capable of.

Other teachers wanted to learn the einstruction software. This seems relatively user friendly, but again, you are working with two different softwares.

There were also some teachers who wanted to learn the software that came with the cps clickers. This seemed logical; yet it means everything must be "reinvented" into the new software (which seems a bit clumsy and putzy to me).

And (would you believe?), some teachers wanted to use the software called "flowworks" because it came with our Qomo tablet and is free to download from their website.

Aughhh!! I can barely get my head around one software, much less watching four different presentations. It's just too much.

And what really topped off my day of technology was attempting the DreamWeaver software that evening. I think what is most frustrating is that I keep telling myself that the more I learn stuff, the easier it will be to learn new stuff related to technology. But, I'm beginning to question that. Yesterday, Jan was able to trouble shoot and figure out some of my problems with Dream Weaver. I was just plain lost. I don't know if I will ever be able to that trouble shooting stuff. It's amazing how one can come so far, and yet NOT!

1 comment:

  1. It does get easier when you play with the software. Please hold onto that idea. Students often say that all of a sudden, things click and made sense. In other words, there seems to be a need for time and experimentation for people to get it. At some point, though, it simply begins to feel intuitive. So again, I'm advocating immersion and trust that you'll get through it.

    ReplyDelete