Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wordle

Cody had a Wordle word cloud on his technology PowerPoint, and I thought this was a really neat thing. Today a coworker emailed me the website and mentioned that she thought it may be a neat way to do book reports. I experimented on the website Very Briefly, but it seems user friendly and would be something I think the students would like to do.

I was thinking about how to use Wordle in an assignment. I think it would be a neat tool to use when having students create character sketches. Also students could describe characters in a novel using these word clouds. Perhaps using Wordle would help students brainstorm ideas for topics for essays. Students could also pull important facts or words from nonfiction selections to create a wordle.

I’m thinking of creating a wordle for my webpage too. Any other ideas for a seventh grade classroom?

3 comments:

  1. Jenn, I did a wordle of a long poem of Emily Dickinson. It came out okay; Emily isn't into many repetitious words. I was going to try it with another poem where there was more repetition. Robert Frost? I thought it would be a good way to have the students realize what the central message was. I also thought about using a difficult reading (Declaration of Independence?) and see what wordle was created. Again the central message might pop out.
    Another way I thought of using it was to have the students create a wordle of their own. They could be assigned words like pride, anger, or joy and have to come up with more words that relate to those concepts. This might be a good vocabulary builder or a way to teach how to use a thesaurus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, your comment made me realize something--I just thought of the words myself and pasted them into the wordle. I didn't even think of how you were using it- to find the main idea. Duh! Now I have some other thoughts--how about using if for kids who repeat those awful words like "then, and then, and then..."!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a link to a blog entry I did back in Feb on possible uses of Worlde in the classroom.
    http://machinimanation.blogspot.com/2009/02/whats-up-with-worlde.html

    ReplyDelete